- Who we are
- Services to organizations
- Volunteer food services
- I want to volunteer
First time volunteering?
Here are some tips for getting started as a volunteer
If you are interested in volunteering, but aren't sure where to begin, try asking yourself the following questions to determine what kind of volunteer opportunities would best suit you:
- If you had all the human and financial resources in the world, what problem would you solve, what would you change or what would you create? Your answer will tell you what matters the most to you.
- What kind of time commitment are you willing to make? Are you looking for regular, weekly volunteer work, or for a short-term or one-time commitment?
- Would you prefer to volunteer with other people or by yourself?
- Would you like to work from your own home, or would you prefer to volunteer at an organization?
- If you would like to volunteer away from home, where is the best location for you? Near home? Close to work? Near your child's day-care centre?
- Do you have specific skills or talents you would like to share with an organization?
- Would you like to develop a specific skill?
- What are your personal goals? Are you re-entering the workforce?
- Do you want to meet new people?
Your answers to these questions will give you a good idea of what you're looking for in a volunteer experience. Take a look at our search engine to see if you find something that interests you. If nothing comes up immediately, you can make an appointment with one of our placement counsellors by dialing 514.842.3351.Thanks to Volunteer Canada for this list of suggestions.